Second jewel of the OVH Triple Crown series
Teams follow a marked route with lots of opportunities for optional jumping across fabulous hunt country. Great cross-country riding opportunity for all disciplines. Ribbons mailed out to those closest to the ideal time set by an OVH member.
- Date: Sunday, July 9, 2023
- Start time: Between 9 am and noon
- Location: 8935 Abb Road, Ottawa
- Cost: $60/rider (HST included)
- Pre-registration and pre-payment required. Registration closes at 6 pm on July 8, 2023. No refunds on registration fees.
- Waivers are included in the online registration process. Provincial association membership is not required. Proof of vaccinations/Coggins is not required although on the waiver you must attest that your horse does not have a contagious disease.
- English and Western riders welcome. Dress code is casual. Safety helmets are mandatory.
- Bring water for your horse as well as a bucket to put the manure in as trailers should not be emptied on the property.
- No dogs, please!
- There is ample parking on a fenced field and someone to direct the traffic.
- Once parked, come to the secretary's desk, which is located on the porch of our clubhouse, with the names of the people who will be in your team. Please leave your horse at the trailer or get somebody to hold your horse. You will be given your team number.
- We recommend that all members of the team take a picture of the emergency number or program it on their phones. The emergency contact is master Stacey Findlay 613-558-0178.
- Riders ride in teams of 2 or 3 riders. Teams can start their timed course between 9 am and noon. The order of go is on a first come, first served basis.
- Teams navigate the course following pie plates. You can ride at your own pace.
- The course length is approximately 12 kilometers. There is a shortcut from the halfway house to shorten the route to 8 km if you or your horse feel tired.
- The course is spread over several properties connected by public roads. Ride in a single file on roads and do not ride on mowed shoulders. Always stick to the edge of fields!
- Jumping is optional. Jumps intended for jumping are mowed and have directional plates on them. You are free to jump some jumps a few times; however, this is a public event, not private cross-country schooling.
- If you encounter a slower team, please make your presence known and request to pass in a safe manner.
- Do not canter/gallop to the finish line in order not to spook other horses just starting their course.
- Tell the timer your team number. The time is taken from the last team member to cross the line.
- The results will be published on Facebook in a few days. We have ribbons for the 6 teams that were closest to the secret optimum time ridden by a team of OVH members going at a good "hunter pace" given the terrain and conditions. The winners will be contacted about delivering or mailing their ribbons.
- If you got some nice photos, we'd love to add them to our hunter pace album. Please send them to Ottawa Valley Hunt by Messenger.
- There is a toilet in the clubhouse. There is no food for sale on site. Riders will be offered water and granola bars at the halfway house.
Volunteer opportunities and questions
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.