Coaches’ invitational hunt
This regular hunt that is also open to other cappers, is free to coaches and riding instructors.
The Ottawa Valley Hunt (OVH) invites coaches and riding instructors in the Ottawa/Gatineau area to be our guests for the coaches’ invitational hunt. This initiative allows coaches and instructors to hunt with us at no charge to see if the experience would be suitable for students who are looking for new experiences.
The OVH practices drag hunting (with hounds but without a fox). It’s a non-competitive sport with many social aspects. For those who have not hunted before, this is an opportunity to understand what the OVH is all about. Even if you have hunted in the past, experience the three choices that the OVH offers to riders: a first field that keeps pace with the hounds and jumps our beautiful natural obstacles (although there is a way around most obstacles); a second field that goes at a slighter slower pace, with some optional jumping; and a third field which offers a slower, supportive ride, accommodating greener riders and horses.
To encourage you to bring your students to hunt with us, coaches and instructors ride at no cost when accompanied by one or more cappers (guests who pay a fee to participate in a hunt). Also, there will be a juniors’ invitational hunt, free of charge to riders 18 years old and under, on Saturday, September 26. OVH members will be on hand to assist young riders hunting for the first time.
If you are interested in attending this hunt, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, September 15 at noon.
The hunt is free for all OVH hunting and riding members as well as our guest coaches and instructors; all others may use a capping voucher or pay a $75 ($25 for juniors) capping fee by e-transfer to email@example.com, by PayPal (see bottom of: https://ottawavalleyhunt.com/riding-as-a-guest/), or cheque.
- If you haven’t already done so this year, the OVH waiver must be completed. You can email it by 5:00 pm the night before, or print and drop it off in the waiver basket at the hunt.
- Guest riders, please fill in this form;
- The medical form should be filled in annually by all members, with a printed copy put in a sealed envelope (with your name marked clearly on the front) and dropped off in the waiver basket – it will not be opened unless required in the case of an accident in the field;
- Physical distancing of six feet between people (outside of the same household) must be observed while on the ground and riding;
- Hand sanitizer will be available on site;
- Each rider should bring and use only their own equipment; and
- Make sure you RSVP if you’re planning to attend.
- The OVH biosecurity protocols are posted on our website. Our biosecurity protocols will be updated as government restrictions change, and will be in place for this hunt and all upcoming events and activities.